Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Wyoming Circle


The Wyoming Circle: Starting from centrally located Riverton, going west to Dubois, to Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons, up thru Yellowstone National Park, to Cooke City (in Montana), back down through the mountains to Cody, to Thermopolis, and right back to little Riverton.... the Wyoming Circle. This is a trip I first went on in 1988 when I was 11 years old, when Yellowstone burned and burned... I remember the smoke from all the fires just starting to fill the sky as we left.

I returned to Yellowstone National Park twice more in my life before this year, but I was never lucky enough to travel "the Circle" again. This time I was able to share this wonderful trip with Jessica. This time it was snow, rather than smoke, that filled the skies of Yellowstone. This time... I saw grizzly bears.

Many thanks to Wesley James Bell, who carefully organized and narrated this trip for Jessica and I, and for good measure, even drove us the entire length of the trip. His knowledge of biology, geology, history, and local lore proved invaluable and indispensable. It would have been little more than a long car ride through pretty scenery without his presence and presentation. Thank you Porkchop, we couldn't have done it without you!


4 comments:

J. Flip said...

Porkchop heartily seconds the sentiments about how the trip really wouldn't have been nearly as fun and interesting without the expertise and knowledge of Porkchop.

Isaac and Joanna said...

Robert and Jessica,

Loved the photos! So beautiful!! And so many of them were artistic and interesting. Robert, it was great to see your beloved Wyoming...I have a much better sense of it now (the Cherrywood Bar was just as you described!). I think we need to plan a Mothership vacation in Wyoming. I also wanted to say, welcome to the Non-Smokers club. We are so happy to have you join. Your official badge and certificate will be in the mail shortly. =)

Love,
Joanna

Isaac and Joanna said...

I also wanted to say thanks for encouraging me to post on our blog...I was hesitating because it seems as though you have to have a baby to post photos, but you assured me that it was okay to have a blog sans kids. Anyway, you can link to our blog now...I put photos up. Isaac said that it's okay with him as long as it's a photo gallery a not a journal. ;) Anyway, a big reason I wanted to do it was for my parents and I am excited to share our photos, so thanks again for the encouragement! =)

Mrs. Fix said...

Those pictures are AMAZING! I love the one with the clouds as big as NYC. Looks like a beautiful, fun trip.